Thursday, June 2, 2022

Ides, a Strobaw Family Saga novel

 

Markwildyr.com, Post #217

 Image Courtesy of dreamstime.com:

 Readers who have been with me a while are aware that I wrote a series of five novels I call the Strobaw Family Saga, beginning with the story of the patriarch of the family, a young American from a family of Tories fleeing New York to escape the prejudice of the victorious Continentals, William (Billy) Strobaw. His story was told in the novel CUT HAND, named for the young warrior who stole his heart and persuaded him to live among the natives.

 The other books follow the lives of family members as the Europeans become ascendant, bringing with them a different attitude toward “Deviants” or “Two Spirits.” Once tolerated (and even honored) by some of the tribes, homosexuals find themselves becoming outsiders. The series follows this change in attitude.

 There remains one story to be told, yet I’m having a great deal of trouble telling his story, something I did not confront when writing the other books. I want to relate the life and adventures of William Haleworthy, the son of Major Gideon Haleworthy and his Indian wife, Rachel Ann Strobaw, and the great grandson of Cut Hand, but—as I say—I’m having trouble. I think that is probably because the time frame is the early 20th Century, which is getting a little to close to home for me (whatever that means).

 So… I thought I’d try out the Prologue I’ve come up with for a book entitled IDES. Here goes:

 * * * * *

                                                                         IDES

 Prologue

 Thursday, May 11, 1905, Boston, Massachusetts

 This had been a mistake.

The dark young man picked up a soup spoon and applied it properly to his bowl to an almost audible sigh of relief from five individuals seated with him at the dining room table. He glanced briefly at each through vivid blue eyes staring from an otherwise American Indian visage.

Grandmother Haleworthy, plump and soft and patrician, seemed most discomfited of all. She tended to fiddle with the silverware, her crystal goblet of iced water, her dangling ruby earrings, anything her stubby fingers could reach.

Grandfather was more stolid and circumspect, but his eyes and ears caught everything. Funny how his thick moustache resembled a graying caterpillar moving across his face with each chew he took.

Uncle Bertrand and Aunt Liliby—brother and sister, thank goodness… they’d make a horrible married couple—simply couldn’t keep their eyes off him. They were obviously fascinated and likely repulsed. He suspected a gorilla at their table plying flatware and speaking proper English would not have provoked more awe.

Cousin Dorian, seated opposite him was the only one brave enough—or perhaps rude enough—to eye him frankly with his thoughts hanging right on his face… what fun it was going to be to deal with this savage from the western frontier.

Once the young man discerned his hosts were more uncomfortable than he was, he mentally relaxed and internally conversed with his brother, even though Gabe had been dead for fourteen years, struck down by a rifle ball in the chest from land grabbers when he was but five years old. He smiled, also internally, as he contemplated telling that bizarre truth.

A sound like a rusty gate swinging open startled him until he realized it was Aunt Liliby asking Grandmother where she would lodge him for the night, bringing a look of near terror to the older woman’s face.

He thought of telling them he would just pitch a teepee out in the back yard but chose to be more discreet.

“I’m sorry, ma’am, I won’t be able to overnight. I need to be somewhere downstate in the morning and will be on my way. I’m merely fulfilling a pledge to my father to pay a courtesy call to his… uh, our eastern family should I find myself in the Boston area.”

The mood at the dining table brightened. His grandmother leaned back in her chair and placed a hand to her bosom.

“And we’re so pleased you did, William. Please give Giddeon our love.”

Good Lord! How could his father, a good, bluff, army officer have come from this lot?

At that point, his cousin obviously decided on some mischief. “Pray tell, are you William Haleworthy or Ides Haleworthy? I’ve heard whispers of both names.”

He decided to play along. “Actually, Dorian, I have three names. Two formal, and one a nickname.”

His cousin perked up, perhaps sensing a verbal duel in the offing. “And what are they?”

He pushed away his plate and leaned back in the hair, an uncomfortable, ladderback affair. “One I should never tell you, but as you are close kin, I suppose it’s all right to reveal it.”

“Oh, good. A family secret. Do go on.”

“The name on my birth certificate is William Haleworthy.” He nodded to his grandfather, “In honor of you, sir.”

“Yes, yes. Go on,” Dorian urged.

“My Indian name is Istá To. It means Blue Eyes, in English.” He heard the intake of his grandmother’s breath.

“And?” Dorian prompted.

“And my uncle John dubbed me Ides the first time he laid eyes on me.”

“Ides?” his aunt asked. “Because of the date of your birth.”

“Yes, ma’am. March 15.” He dabbed his lips with a linen napkin. “Uncle John’s a student of the Bard, I guess you could say.”

“Is that right? And he’s an… a Native?” Dorian asked.

Ides was beginning to enjoy himself, he pushed on despite the cautioning whispers from his dead brother. “A breed, actually. Of course, John Strobaw is also a successful rancher in South Dakota, as well. Now, he has several names.”

“Is that so?” his grandfather asked with a wary note in his voice.

“Yes. Over the years, he was awarded different names by the tribe based on exploits or incidents in his life.”

Dorian’s eyes sparkled. “And are you free to reveal them.”

Mischief had gained the upper hand now. “I shouldn’t. But… well, as I say, you are family. His American name is John Jacobsen Strobaw. Jacobsen after his mother’s family name. His childhood Indian name was War Eagle. That was their… our way of saying Golden Eagle. Then he earned the name of Night Sky Hair. That was because he has streaks of his mother’s Scandinavian blond hair in his black mop. As he gained a reputation as a shaman, he became Medicine Hair.”

“Good heavens,” his grandmother exclaimed. “Is that all?”

Mischief was now a runaway. “No, ma’am. Most recently, he was awarded the name of American Killer.”

He was gratified by the rattle of silverware on bone china as his grandmother dropped her fork.

 * * * *

Let me know what you think? I’m truly at sea at this point.

 Wildyr Tales, an anthology of some of my stories, is now out in Ebook form with print book soon to follow. Hope you’ll check it out.

 My contact information is provided below in case anyone wants to drop me a line:

Website and blog: markwildyr.com

Email: markwildyr@aol.com

Facebook: www.facebook.com/mark.wildyr

Twitter: @markwildyr

Now my mantra: Keep on reading. Keep on writing. You have something to say, so say it!

See you later.

 

 Mark

 New posts the first and third Thursday of the month at 6:00 a.m., US Mountain time.

No comments:

Post a Comment