Thursday, June 16, 2022

Gabacho in Dallas, Part One of Two Parts

 Markwildyr.com, Post #218

  Image Courtesy of dreamstime.com:



 So far, not many suggestions for Ides, so maybe it’s a tale that doesn’t need to be told. Nonetheless, I’ll keep cogitating on it.

 Today, we’re going to visit Gabacho again. He and Slick, his flea bitten gray gelding, are in Dallas, and as usual, he can’t seem to keep his nose out of other people’s business.

 

* * * *

GABACHO IN DALLAS

I wiped down the bar and wondered if it wasn’t time to consider moving on. I’d been in Dallas at the Galloping Mustang for a month and a half, which is the longest I’d stayed in one place since I began my long horseback trek back to Huntsville. That journey started on the Rancho Salvador across the Rio Grande south of the New Mexico Boot Heel country. Slick and I—Slick was my flea-bitten gray gelding—took our time, stopping when we wanted to stop and traveling when we wanted to travel. I’m a cowboy by trade, but a bartender by convenience since ranch jobs were becoming harder to find.

I’d run into the Galloping Mustang by accident when I engaged a fellow in casual conversation at a diner and learned the joint was looking for a bartender. Since my sock was getting low on spare change, I courted disaster and headed for the Highland Park area. Bit congested—and exclusive—for horseback riding, but I made it okay. The owner, a beer barrel of a guy named Monte Billson, not only hired me, he also directed me to a stable where I could board Slick.

The next problem was to find a cheap place to stay in a high-priced neighborhood. That resolved itself when I met Dolly, a cute waitress at the Galloping Mustang. She took me home the first night, and before sunrise, I had become a roommate, which was convenient because she had a sporty car—a Mustang, of course—which saved a lot of time on city busses. Dolly had reluctantly departed the area when her sister called from Ohio with word their mother was sick, leaving me with an apartment in The Village with the rent paid until the end of this month.

Actually, there was no reason to move on except for my restless nature. The GM, as we employees called it, was close enough to Southern Methodist University to garner some of that trade without disturbing the neighborhood flavor. We were a mahogany trimmed joint, which made the dim lighting comfortable without rendering everyone blind. We had both tables and booths but no dance floor, which cut down on troublemakers. In my experience, student couples tended to bring excess energy, which sometimes found release in squabbles. Squinty, our six-two bouncer was able to handle things, but sometimes I had to back him up.

Tonight was slow for a Friday. It was getting late, and just a few local regulars remained in the bar… except for this one fresh-faced kid who seemed like he was waiting for someone. Every time the door opened, he looked up with an expectant look on his kisser. He hadn’t drunk much, nursing his Bloody Marys carefully. When he came back from the bathroom for the tenth time, he surveyed the almost empty room and took one of the bar stools with a sour look on his face

“Expecting someone?” I asked.

He looked surprised at the sound of my voice. “Yeah. Supposed to be meeting someone, but got held up, I guess.”

The kid was cute, had a decent build, and seemed polite. Before I swore off guys, he’d have whetted my appetite. He looked too young to be in a bar, but Squinty would have carded him. Our bouncer was good at that. Of course, so were some of the kids at forging false IDs.

I stuck out my hand. “Gary. Gary James Hawthorne.”

“What? Oh, Folsom Charles. And before you ask, Folsom is my first name.”

I grinned at him. “You’ve explained that a few times, I imagine.”

He loosened up a little. “Yeah, once or twice. Gary, you say? I thought I heard the waitress call you by another name.”

“Gabacho. Picked that up down in Mexico. Pretty much answer to it all the time now.”

“That’s what they call gringos, isn’t it?”

“Especially curly-haired blonds.”

“You aren’t exactly a blond.”

I laughed and gave the bar another swipe with a rag. “Compared with their head-hair, I am. But I guess you’d call it brown.”

“Yeah, but it does have some blond highlights.”

“So they tell me.”

Even in the dim light, I saw his eyes sweep my bare chest. I customarily wear a short, open vest with no shirt beneath. The girls like it. Well, so do some of the guys. To change the subject, I asked if he was a student at SMU.

He shook his head. “Naw. I’m from TCU.”

“I thought you guys were rivals. That why you’re meeting here instead of closer to the campus?”

His wry grin turned him sexy. “You got it.”

I nodded to the iPhone poking out of his shirt pocket. “So give her a call.”

“Him,” he said. “And I have called. Just goes to voice mail.

“Oh,” I said.

“He’s not the promptest guy in the world.”

“He’s stood you up before?”

“Well, he’s been late before.” He glanced at his wristwatch, a heavy gold thing. “But never this late.”

“Kinda disrespectful, keeping you waiting without calling and giving you a heads-up.”

“Well, yeah, it is.”

Figuring my last remark put a wounded look on his face, I excused myself to go straighten bottles on a shelf at the back of the bar, a closing up chore.

The door opened about that time, and this upperclassman dude swaggered in, spotted Folsom, and meandered over, a smile on his face. I was within easy earshot and watched the byplay in the mirror

“Sorry about that,” the newcomer said breezily. “Hope you haven’t been waiting long.”

“Just about three hours,” I muttered under my breath.

“I was worried. Why didn’t you call?”

“Something came up. And I’m here, aren’t I. You want another drink, or are you ready to roll?”

I saw the brush-off hit home.

“That’s it, Brod? You aren’t even going to explain?”

Brod’s handsome face turned ugly. “That’s it, kid. Take it or leave it.”

Folsom squared his shoulders. “I’ll leave it.”

Brod didn’t react well to the push-back. “What do you mean you’ll leave it. I’m doing you a favor just showing up.”

The kid swung his stool around and faced the bar, head down. “Don’t do me any more favors, okay?”

“Why you little asshole. You get your frigging butt outside and in my car right now. Hear me?”

Folsom winced, but stood his ground. “No. I’m going back to Fort Worth.”

“You do, and that’s it. We’re through.”

Folsom looked like he’d been slapped in the face, but he shook his head. “I’m not interested. Not anymore.”

I saw the older kid’s hands twist into knots. That was enough. I turned to face both of them and leaned in. “Okay, butthead. You heard what the man said. Leave him alone.”

“Who invited you in. This is between us.”

“And me. Nobody gets threatened in this bar. Not while I’m on duty.”

* * * *

Okay, so is Gabacho going to get into a fight over this cute kid after he’d sworn off boys? Tell me what you think.

 Wildyr Tales, an anthology of some of my stories, is now out in print form. Hope you’ll check it out.

 My contact information is provided below in case anyone wants to drop me a line:

Website and blog: markwildyr.com

Email: markwildyr@aol.com

Facebook: www.facebook.com/mark.wildyr

Twitter: @markwildyr

Now my mantra: Keep on reading. Keep on writing. You have something to say, so say it!

See you later.

 

 Mark

 New posts the first and third Thursday of the month at 6:00 a.m., US Mountain time.

No comments:

Post a Comment